1793 The Shrewsbury Canal, in Shropshire, England, was authorised, to link Shrewsbury with the east Shropshire canal network serving coal mines and ironworks around Oakengates, Ketley, Donnington Wood and Trench. It incorporated one mile and 88 yards of the Wombridge Canal, purchased from William Reynolds to provide access to the Donnington Wood Canal and the Shropshire Canal.
1797 The main line was opened from Trench to Shrewsbury
1835 The canal was isolated from the rest of the canal network until 1835, when the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal built the Newport Branch from Norbury Junction to Wappenshall.
After this, ownership passed to a series of railway companies.
1944 the canal was officially abandoned.
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia