Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,374 pages of information and 230,039 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Shropshire Canal was a tub boat canal built to supply coal, ore and limestone to the industrial region of east Shropshire that adjoined the River Severn at Coalbrookdale.
It ran from a junction with the Donnington Wood Canal via the Wrockwardine Wood inclined plane to its summit level where it made a junction with the older Ketley Canal; at Southall Bank the Horsehay branch went to Brierley Hill above Coalbrookdale; the main line descended via the Windmill Incline and the Hay Inclined Plane to Coalport on the Severn.
Construction of the canal was completed in 1792, and it operated successfully until the 1830s.
1840s leased by the Shropshire Union Canal
1850s Subsidence and breaches
1858 Most of the canal was closed and a railway laid on parts of it.