Silicate Paint Co
of Liverpool, later of London
1872 of 24, Fenwick St. Liverpool
1878 Award from the Sanitary Institute of Great Britain for decorative work
1879 Award for "Griffith's Patent White"
1880 Company established by J. B. Orr and partner. The Silicate Paint Company (at that time still using the supplementary title J. B. Orr and Co) may have been in existence for some time before 1880, using material from J. B. Orr's Glasgow works. Manufactured Lithopone (sold under the name of "Charlton White") and the first washable distemper known as "Duresco."
1883 J. B. Orr and Co (trading as the Silicate Paint Co at Charlton, and also at 32 Seel St and Canning Place, Liverpool, and 173a St Vincent Street, Glasgow), publicised its intention to take action against others making use of its trademarks without permission
1884 The works at Charlton were offered for sale by auction
1938 The Silicate Paint Company of Charlton offered black-out instructions
Sources of Information
- June 1872 advert
- The Times, Oct 08, 1878
- The Times, Aug 09, 1883
- The Times, Jun 07, 1884
- The Times, Sep 29, 1938