Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,198 pages of information and 215,454 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cycle and motorcycle manufacturers of Coventry, later to become Singer Motors of Birmingham, maker of cars and commercial vehicles at Coventry.
See also -
1879 Partnership dissolved. '... the Partnership subsisting between us the undersigned, George Singer and James Stringer, who have hitherto carried on the business of Velocipede Manufacturers, at the Challenge Works, Coventry, at No. 21, Holborn-viaduct, London, and No. 57, Bold-street, Liverpool, under the name of Singer and Co., has been this day dissolved by mutual consent. And in future the business will be carried on by the said George Singer, on his separate account...'
1881 Singer and Co. listed as a Bicycle Manufacturer. Headland Buildings, 15 Park Row, Sheffield. 
1881 Employing 300 men and boys.
1882 Listed at 17 Holborn Viaduct, London
1883 Singer and Co exhibited at the 6th Stanley Show - demonstrated a tricycle with all-wheel steering, and a tandem tricycle.
1889 Description of their works at Alma Street in the Badminton Library book 
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles as Singer and Co. Limited of Coventry. .
1896 June. Singer Cycle Co Ltd was formed to acquire the assets of Singer and Co. Directors: Earl of Warwick, Earl of Norbury, J. Savile Lumley, Paget Mosley, Frederick Faber MacCabe and George Singer. Existing contracts disclosed were mostly with or involved E. T. Hooley. The company was one of those promoted by E. T. Hooley.
1901 June. Details of their motor wheel.
1905 First four wheel car produced, with a 3 cylinder 1400 cc engine, made under licence from Lea-Francis.
1909 Became a private company.
1912 Listed in Spennell's directory of Coventry as Cycle Manufacturers. 
1912 Spennell's lists them at Canterbury St, Coventry (Wire, Singer; Tel 571) and as manufacturers of motorcycles. 
1915 Ceased production of motorcycles.
1920 The work's manager at this time was W. E. Bullock
1927 Ceased production of cycles.
1932 Appointed Leo Joseph Shorter as chief engineer.
1936 Became a public company.
1956 The company was in financial difficulties and the Rootes Group who had handled Singer sales since before World War I, bought the company, and closed the Coventry works.