Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,638 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Gun-metal fittings makers for many applications of Hyson Green Works, Nottingham.
1826 Sydney Smith went into business in Nottingham
1862 Pressure and vacuum gauges (patented by Sydney Smith)
1862 The firm’s name was changed to Smith Brothers and Co
By 1871 John Miller was principal of the company.
1872 Smith Brothers and Co, of Hyson Green Works, Nottingham (see advert)
1881 Introduced their steam whistle for ships, of Hyson Green.
Early 1880s: A disagreement on policy led to 3 of the brothers eventually severing their connections with the business
1882 Samuel, Isaac and William re-established themselves at the Basford Works, Egypt Road, Nottingham under the name of Sydney Smith and Sons. Smith Brothers and Co moved from Forest Terrace to Bobbers Mill Road, Nottingham.
1889 John Miller gained a patent on cocks, which was prolonged in 1893
By 1889 the Firm under the able management of John Miller Junior, had expanded into larger premises at Bobbers Mill and was exporting worldwide.
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Gun-metal screw-down valves, also gun-metal and iron fittings, such as injectors, pressure gauges, steam whistles, and other accessories for locomotive and stationary engines.
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Awarded Gold Medal for Large Mechanical Constructions.
The Company passed from the Smith family but continued to trade as Smith Brothers and Company. Hyson Green, Limited
1906 Incorporated as a Limited Company.
1911 John Miller died
1922 Manufacturer of Pressure gauges of Hyson Green Works, Nottingham. Directors: F. W. Perry (Chairman), T. G. Mellors J.P., Alderman G. A. Eastwood, J.P., and Capt. H. D. Bayley, J.P.
1924 The company erected a new fitting shop and extended their machine shops at their Nottingham works.
Early 1920s: H. W. Dennis Limited became an associate Company, which introduced the firm to the manufacture of high pressure valves for oilfields and refineries.
1937 Valve manufacturers - for air, steam, oil and water, and pressure gauge manufacturers. "Hyson" Valves. "Turnesy" Cocks.
1962 Company name changed to Smith Dennis Limited
1973 the company was acquired by the Pegler Hattersley Group
Perhaps this was connected with:
CCR-JAP was a motorcycle produced in 1912, by Smith Brothers of Nottingham.
This machine was a sidecar outfit with a 6hp JAP V-twin engine. It had a three-speed Chater-Lea gearbox, engine clutch, chain transmission and Druid forks. The sidecar was attached at five points. They also made a 4.5hp twin that had belt drive and an Armstrong three-speed hub gear.