Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,400 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1787 Advertisement: 'At the NEW FOUNDRY, Opposite Shude hill Pitts, Manchester, and at the Griffin foundry, at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, SMITH and Co. Manufacture Pig Iron, Cylinders, Iron and Brass Working Pieces, Boilers, Chains, Regulators, Pipes, and every other Article for FIRE ENGINES, &c. Anvils, Hammers, Rollers, &c for FORGES and ROLLING MILLS. LARGE SCREWS, with all Kinds of wrought and cast Work, for COTTON, PAPER, RASPING & OIL MILLS, Cogg and Water Wheels, Iron Chests and Book Safes, Square and Round Stoves With every other Article Forged or Call Iron, Crofters and Dyers Pans and Bottoms, Stove Pots, &c. Calendar Bowls and Heaters, Dressing Irons, Press Screws, Register Bath and Pantheon Stoves, Kitchen Grates, with Ovens, Boilers, Hot Closets, Spit Racks, &c. compleat Ovens, Pots, Pans &c., Boilers, Solid Irons, Box Irons and Heaters, Parlour Grates, Kitchen Hearths and Fenders, Iron Arms for Carriages, Cart and Waggon Bushes, Anvils and Smiths’ Hammers. With every other Article to Pattern or Dimension, in Forged or Cast Iron.' 
1794 Smith and Co, of Griffin Iron Foundry, 7 Swan street
1800 William Smith & Co, 7 Swan Street, Manchester listed in Bancks's Manchester & Salford Directory. Note 'William' was deleted and replaced by 'John' (iron founder, Oak Street)
1805 "Notice is hereby given, that all and every the Copartnership Concerns, Dealings and Transactions, subsisting between John Smith, of Chesterfield, Ebenezer Smith, and Benjamin Boothby, as joint Executors of Joseph Fletcher Smith, deceased, and John Smith, of Sheffield, (the surviving Partner of the said Joseph Fletcher Smith,) ceased and were dissolved at and from the 24th of June last. Witness our Hands this 21st of March 1806"
Green's map of 1787-1794 shows ponds (Shude Hill Pitts) on the northeast side of Swan Street, beyond which were fields and gardens. On the opposite side of Swan Street are two blocks of buildings, one of which must be the foundry. Behind these is Foundery Lane (called Aubery Lane on Laurent's 1793 map, but Bancks's 1831 map calls it Foundry Lane).