Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,381 pages of information and 219,138 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Society of Chemical Industry (SCI) established in 1881 is a learned society "to further the application of chemistry and related sciences for the public benefit". Its purpose is "Promoting the commercial application of science for the benefit of society" and provides an international forum where science meets business on independent, impartial ground. Since being founded in 1881, the society covers areas such as, food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science and safety.
1879, 21 November, Lancashire chemist John Hargreaves arranged a meeting of chemists and managers in Widnes, St Helens and Runcorn to consider the formation of a chemical society. Modelled on the successful Tyne Chemical Society already operating in Newcastle, the newly proposed South Lancashire Chemical Society held its first meeting on 29 January 1880 in Liverpool, with the eminent industrial chemist and soda manufacturer Ludwig Mond presiding.
It was quickly decided that the society should not be limited to just the local region and in 1881, 4 April, the title the Society of Chemical Industry was finally settled upon at a meeting in London. Held at the offices of the Chemical Society, this meeting was presided over by Henry Roscoe, appointed first president of SCI, and attended by Eustace Carey, Ludwig Mond, F. A. Abel, Lowthian Bell, William H. Perkin, Walter Weldon, Edward Rider Cook, Thomas Tyrer and George E. Davis; all prominent scientists, industrialists and MPs of the time. 
1923 Chemical Engineering Group (Society of Chemical Industry) removed its offices from 24, Buckingham-street, Strand, London, W. C. 2. to Abbey House (Room 308), Victoria-street, Westminster, SWI.