Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Stanley Bank Mill

From Graces Guide

near St. Helens, Lancashire

This was an iron slitting mill, producing wrought iron strip from iron bar produced at Carr Mill Dams to the north. Converted to a corn mill in the early to mid-19th century.

Established in 1773 by a partnership of Alexander Chorley, Thomas Leech, John Postlethwaite and John Rigby, although another source dates the establishment of the slitting mill to the early 1780s. Alexander Chorley was a Warrington-based Quaker businessman, and probably knew Thomas Titley, owner of the Lymm Slitting Mill who was also a member of Warrington Meeting of the Society of Friends.

The slitting mill does not appear to have been successful and in 1784 it was advertised for sale (see below). In 1785, Rigby died, and Chorley became manager of the nearby Stanley Copper Works.

In 1800 the mill was acquired by John Weston and William Blocklebank of Liverpool and James Harriman.

Some time between 1800 and 1824 the slitting mill was converted to a corn mill. This closed between 1900 and 1911, and was then demolished.

The site was excavated in 1982-3, but not well-documented. Further investigation was carried out by the National Museums Liverpool Field Archaeology Unit in 2008. The foregoing information is condensed from their 2009 report[1].

1784 Advert: To be Sold by Auction: ALL that well known compleat ROLLING and SLITTING MILL, called STANLEY MILL, seven Miles from Wigan, with the Warehouses, Dwelling-houses, Gardens, and other necessary Buildings contiguous thereto, situate by Sankey Canal, falls into the River Mersey, communicate by Water with Liverpool, Warrington, and Manchester, with the several Towns adjoining the Staffordshire Canal; said Mills are in the Centre of extensive Manufacturies, in Iron, Cotton, &c.
Coals of excellent Quality, are delivered at the Works, on the same Terms as on board the Flats, in the Canal.
Also all that roomy and convenient Rolling Mill, Smith’s Shop, and extensive Yard adjoining, with a stout and well-built Wheel, full 24 Feet diameter; and a Warehouse Feet 30 by 45 Feet, situate upon Carr Pool, a Piece of Water covering 13 Acres, of 8 Yards to the Perch, from whence it falls 24 Feet; where is also a very compleat and well-accustomed Corn Mill, with Drying Kiln, and other useful Conveniences, several Dwelling-houses, Gardens, &c.
There is a navigable Canal with a Boat open it, from the Works at Carr, to those at Stanley, suitable for conveying Goods betwixt the two Places, distant about Half a Mile.
The whole of the Premises are held under Sir Robert Gerrard, Bart. for 21 Years, from February 2d, 1784, subject to an annual Rent of 57l.
From the great command of Water, the Structure of the Wheels, the extent and conveniency of the Buildings, these Works may at a moderate Expence, be accommodated to any Purposes in the Cotton Manufactory, being in a very populous Neighhourhood.
Mr. Rigby, in Billinge, Mr. John Leech, Ashton, or the Clerk of the Works, will shew the Premises.[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. [1] 'An Archaeological Excavation at Stanley Bank, St Helens, Merseyside' NGR SJ 538 972, March 2009, M. Adams. Produced for St Helens MBC
  2. Manchester Mercury - Tuesday 24 February 1784