Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Star Engineering Co.
Star Cycle Co had produced motorcycles from 1898 to 1905. In 1909 the Star Engineering Co became the principal company in the Star family and in 1912 reentered the motorcycle business under the Star Cycle Co name.
1912 Late in the year the company returned to two-wheeled power and exhibited a 4.25 hp single of distinctive design. The engine had a detachable cylinder head and an aluminium cover to enclose the valve gear. The firm made its own multi-jet carburettor and the magneto was positioned behind the cylinder. It had many other refinements, plus a drum brake, sprung foot-boards and Saxon front forks.
1913 A similar machine appeared, fitted with a 6 hp JAP V-twin engine. Both models were sturdy and well made, but somewhat weighty. A sidecar was also offered.
1914 Director lists them as Star Engineering Co., Frederick Street, Wolverhampton and as motor cycle manufacturers. 
1914 The 4.5hp model had a single cylinder Star engine with a Star three-speed gearbox, clutch and carburettor. The carburettor was soon replaced with an Amac or Senspray model. The transmission was via a [[ Renold chain and a leather to metal clutch. There was a Bosch magneto and a kick starter. The petrol tank held two gallons of petrol and two quarts of oil. There was a pannier tool-bag which contained a complete set of tools. The machine was finished in black enamel and suitably lined. It sold for 65 guineas. The 6hp machine was fitted with a twin cylinder JAP engine with 76mm bore and 85mm stroke, giving a capacity of 770cc. It had mechanically operated side valves and a counter-shaft type three-speed gearbox. There was a Bosch magneto and an Amac or Senspray carburettor. The machine had a kick starter and the transmission was via a Renold chain, in a chain case and a leather to metal cone-type clutch. The petrol tank held two gallons of petrol and two quarts of oil. The machine was fitted with 26-inch Dunlop tyres and had a pannier tool-bag which came complete with a full set of tools. It was finished in lined black enamel and sold for 75 guineas. The handlebars had special dropped grips with flats for taking the control gear via four concealed cables. A sidecar model was also built, but very few of these motorcycles were made.
1914 Sales were slow, so after the outbreak of war, the company dropped motorcycles in favour of cars, coaches, trucks and a couple of aeroplanes.