Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Streatham Drive, Exeter
formerly the site of Duryard Lodge, Exeter
1867 Build Commenced. 'On Friday afternoon last the foundation stone of the mansion to be erected near the site of Duryard Lodge, late the residence of S. Kingdon, Esq., for Richard Thornton West, Esq., was laid by his son, Richard Bowerman West, aged two years. On Saturday the workmen engaged raising the structure, numbering about 150, sat down to an excellent dinner, supplied by Mr. Cuthbertson, the expense being borne Mr. West. The dinner was laid out under the large marquee belonging to the Horticultural Society, in front of the site of the mansion. Toasts, and good wishes for the welfare of the West family, were given amid much cheering. The new mansion is to be called Streatham Hall, and being built Mr. W. Moore, of Fore-street-hill. The design, prepared Mr. Moore, is in the Italian style, the substructure being built of Westleigh stone, and the upper portion of white brick and Portland stone.'
1871 Living at Streatham Hall, Cowley Road, Exeter: Richard T. West (age 54 born Clapham), Retired East India Merchant. With his wife Sarah and son Richard B.
1891 The Palm House, an addition designed by E. H. Harbottle, was added. Measuring 71ft by 40ft, it contained rockwork and plants. These were arranged by Robert Veitch and Son. The largest palm was 30ft tall, the rocks covered in green moss and ferns and tropical plants.