Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas John Taylor (1810-1861)
Vice-President of the North of England Institute of Mining Engineers.
1858 Colliery Viewer, Earsdon near Newcastle-under-Lyme.
1862 Obituary 
THOMAS JOHN TAYLOR, of Earsdon near Newcastle-on-Tyne, was born in 1810 at Shilbottle near Alnwick, and after receiving a liberal education, which he finished at the university of Edinburgh, was brought up under his uncle, Mr. Hugh Taylor, as a colliery viewer, having the care first of some smaller collieries, and afterwards of Haswell Colliery in the county of Durham, a colliery of great extent and importance.
He subsequently succeeded his uncle as mining engineer to the Duke of Northumberland, and acted in the same capacity also for the collieries of Lord Hastings and Col. Towneley. He attained a position of great eminence as a mining engineer, and wrote frequently upon subjects connected with mining and the coal trade.
In 1843 he published an historical account of coal milling as practised in the North of England, and in 1859 read a paper at this Institution on the progressive application of machinery to mining purposes, leaving been elected a Member of the Institution in 1858: his principal work was a treatise on the improvement of the river Tyne, as a great shipping port for coal, giving his views also on the improvement and management of rivers and tidal harbours generally.
The last mining project on which he was occupied at the time of his death was the organisation of a comprehensive system for the combined drainage of the whole coal basin of the Tyne, east of Newcastle.
His death occurred on 2 April 1861, in the fifty-first year of his age, after a very short illness originating in a violent cold.