Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,711 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Tabernacle Chapel, Exeter

From Graces Guide

of Coombe Street, Exeter

1769 Built by the Rev. Henry Tanner (1718-1804) as a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel.

1889 Listed. [1]

1890s The Tabernacle was described as ‘now requires restoration, fell into decay and old disused chapel.’

1902 'NEW EXETER CHAPEL. AN HISTORICAL PLACE RE-BUILT AND RE-OPENED. Tabernacle Court is one of the little alleys which are so numerous in the West Quarter of Exeter. To be precise, it situated the bottom of Coombe-street, and winds in zig-zag fashion around the West end of the Fish Market. The atmosphere is, indeed, impregnated by "an ancient fish-like smell," which at all times proclaims the kind of business which is the feature of the neighbourhood. Tabernacle Court is, fact, in the midst of colony of fish vendors, who turn out with the milkman and purchase their supplies of fish for their daily round. They are not the class of people who are easily reached by religious influences, but they have been reached of late years in very effective way....In Tabernacle Court there happened be an old chapel, erected in the middle of the century in connection with the Whitfield revival, and which, with the exception of George's meeting house, was the oldest Nonconformist chapel in Exeter. The famous Rev. James Tanner preached there for many years, and the last occasion which services were conducted there was 15 years ago. After that the building was allowed to fall into decay. It was lofty, has old-fashioned high pews covered by green baize, and its high pulpit was fitted at the back with door. its ruined state was recently assigned by the Charity Trustees to the Trustees Friernhay Congregational Church, who have rebuilt the Chapel accordance with plans prepared by Mr. Harbottle Reed, architect....[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 1889 Exeter Directory
  2. Western Times - Wednesday 23 July 1902