Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,172 pages of information and 215,041 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Tavistock Iron Works

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Parkwood Road, Tavistock

Manufacturing from 1800 to 1891

1857 Advertisement:
'The Tavistock Iron Works, Devon.
1. —The Proprietors of these Works (owing to the illness, and consequent desire of one of the Partners to retire from business) have determined to open the concern to the Public by the formation of a “JOINT STOCK COMPANY WITH LIMITED LIABILITY."
2. —This business has been established for more than fifty years, and, during that period, has been attended with uniform success.
3 —The Books of the Company shew that, after a Rental of £500 per annum, and all other charges, a net profit has been realized for many years past averaging from 9 to 10 per cent. upon the capital engaged.
4. —The Premises are held under a Lease from the Duke of Bedford, for a term of 99 years, of which 47 are unexpired.
5. —The amount of Capital invested in the concern is from £18,000 to £20,000, including the Plant, which is estimated at £6,000. The Plant may be valued by two competent persons, if preferred.
6. —The Plant, which is in good working condition, covering about 2½ Acres of Land, is at present giving employment to from 70 to 80 persons, and consists of the following Buildings, Implements, and Machinerv, viz. :
Hammer Mill, with 2 furnaces, 1 hilt hammer upwards of 3 tons, and a tilt hammer, water wheel, 22 feet diameter and 5 feet breast, fly wheel, same diameter, &c.
Grinding Mill, with two pair of stones, &c, water wheel, 22 feet by 5 feet.
Plating Mill, 2 furnaces, 2 hammers, shears, 2 pair rolls for round and square iron, scouring barrel for scrap iron, water wheel, &c.
Anchor Mill, 1 furnace, large hammer for iron shafts and bar iron, cranes, &c, water wheel, &c.
Foundry, with 4 cupolas and air furnace, 3 drying stoves, cast iron cylinder pit for casting cylinders 70in. diameter and 14 feet long, powerful cranes, &c.
Fitting Shop, 80 feet by 32 feet interior, water wheel to work 8 lathes, and planing machines on the newest construction, punching and bending machines, with a line of shafting throughout, a hydraulic chain proving machine.
Smiths' Range, with 8 forges, 2 coke ovens, sand houses, pattern-rooms, spacious store-rooms, carpenters' shops and yards, with stabling for 4 horses.
7. —The whole of the Machinery, worked by powerful water wheels, is supplied by a large and never failing stream.
8. —An extensive business is carried on in making Steam Engines and other Machinery, as well as in Agricultural and Mining Implements ; and as Tavistock is the centre of a large and increasing Mining district, there is but little doubt that it may be considerably extended.
9. —Goods can be conveyed to and from the Works to Plymouth, by river and canal conveyance, at a charge not exceeding Five Shillings per Ton ; and as soon as the line of Railway from Plymouth to Tavistock is opened, that charge will be reduced to Two Shillings and Sixpence per Ton.
10 —It is proposed to raise a capital of £20,000, in 2,000 Shares of £10 each, of which the remaining Partner is willing to subscribe a liberal portion.
11. —The Business to be conducted by a Manager, under the control of a Committee of Management, under the Firm of "THE TAVISTOCK IRON COMPANY, LIMITED."
12. —As soon as a sufficient number of applications for Shares have been received, the articles of association will be prepared, and a certificate of registry obtained, when a Meeting of Subscribers will be called, and the first Committee of Management appointed.
A Deposit of £1 to be paid on the allotment of Shares.
FORM OF APPLICATION.
Gentlemen, I request that you will allot to me Shares in the above named Company, ………'[1]

1868 Lease taken over by Nicholls, Mathews and Co‎


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Western Times, 29 August 1857