Thomas Brook (1818-1886)
1866-86 In partnership with his nephew James Brook
1887 Obituary 
THOMAS BROOK, of Hartley, Kirkburton, near Huddersfield, was born in 1818.
After being educated at a local school in Huddersfield, he was articled to Mr. Dinsley, a well-known surveyor, who shortly afterwards died. Mr. Brook completed his articles with the late Mr. Crowther, with whom he was on most friendly terms until the death of the latter.
Mr. Brook was in general practice, being also Engineer to the Huddersfield and Manchester Canal until about the year 1845, when he became surveyor to the Ramsden estates, upon which a great portion of the town of Huddersfield has been built. He was actively engaged in laying out the town, making streets, drains, roads, bridges, &C., until 1859, when he left the estate offices and resumed practice.
In 1866 he took into partnership his nephew, Mr. Jas. Brook, who had been articled to him, and he subsequently devoted himself almost entirely to arbitrations and valuations to the time of his death on the 22nd of December, 1886.
During his life he was associated with almost every undertaking in the district, and purchased numerous large estates for gentlemen in the neighbourhood. To the liberality of Mr. and Mrs. Brook, and their personal influence with others, is mainly due the erection of Emanuel Church, Shelley, and from its opening, nearly eighteen years ago, to his death, he served as vicar’s warden.
Mr. Brook was an ardent Conservative. He was chairman of the Kirkburton Conservative Association, and an active worker in the Holmfirth division and also in the borough of Huddersfield. He served for some years on the Board of Guardians for the township of Almondbury; he was a member of the Shelley School Board from its formation to his death; chairman of the Kirkburton Gaslight Company; was a trustee and a manager of the National Schools, and in other ways took and was willing to take his part in town and district affairs.
Mr. Brook was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 29th of May, 1883.