Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,505 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Thomas Crump Hambling

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Thomas Crump Hambling (1835-1873)

1874 Obituary [1]

THOMAS CRUMP RAMBLING was born at East Dereham, Norfolk, on 25th September 1835, and after serving his apprenticeship to Messrs. Ransome and Sims at Ipswich, became manager of the works of Mr. J. H. Porter at Birmingham and Tividale, for whom he went out to Spain and superintended the erection of several lighthouses under difficult and sometimes dangerous circumstances.

He was afterwards engaged by Mr. Robert C. May in London, until he set up in practice there for himself in 1869 as a consulting engineer.

He became a Member of the Institution in 1869. His death took place on 14th March 1873, in the thirty-eighth year of his age.

1874 Obituary [2]

MR. THOMAS CRUMP HAMBLING was born at East Dereham, Norfolk, on the 25th of September, 1835.

After serving an apprenticeship to Messrs. Ransome and Sims, at Ipswich, he was for three years in the establishment of Messrs. Maudslay, Sons, and Field, which he left to become assistant manager at Messrs. Porter and Co.'s works, Tividale.

He was then engaged by the Spanish Government to carry out public works,+principally the erection of lighthouses on the coast. These he superintended under difficult and sometimes dangerous circumstances, and on their completion after a short engagement under Mr. Robert C. May, M. Inst. C.E., he set up on his own account in London as a Consulting Engineer.

He had laid the foundation of a successful practice, when his career was cut short by accidentally taking an overdose of laudanum, from the effects of which he died on the 14th of March, 1873, in his thirty-eighth year.

Mr. Hambling was elected as Associate of the Institution on the 6th of April, 1869, and frequently attended the meetings.

See Also


Sources of Information