Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Hall Winsley Chambers (1866-1949)
1950 Obituary 
"THOMAS HALL WINSLEY CHAMBERS retained a close connection with Middlesbrough for nearly forty years, in the course of which he established a reputation as a prominent member of his profession.
He was born in 1866 and educated at Foyle College, Londonderry; Trinity College, Dublin; and at Boulogne. After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Bolckow Vaughan and Company, Ltd., Middlesbrough, from 1886 to 1890, he continued in their service as a junior draughtsman for a further two years. His next employment was that of assistant engineer at the Port Clarence works of the Anderston Foundry Company, Ltd., where he remained until 1897 when he became engineer to Sir Bernard Samuelson and Company, Ltd., Newport Iron Works. Three years later he began a long association with Messrs. Gjers, Mills and Company, Ltd., on taking up the appointment of works manager. Mr. Chambers took a keen interest in the personal relations of staff and management and was, to a great extent, responsible for the inauguration of the Works Social Club, which met with great success.
During the 1914-18 war he was instrumental, with others, for the formation of the Tees-side Munitions Committee, of which he became deputy chairman. His firm was responsible for the production of a large number of shells, largely due to his efforts. On the death of Mr. Lawrence Gjers he was made a director of the firm and subsequently became managing director, a position he retained until his retirement in 1924, after which he went to live at Merrow, near Guildford, where his death occurred on 25th December 1949. Mr. Chambers was a Member of the Institution for practically half a century, having been elected in March 1900. He also served on the Council of the Institute of Cleveland Engineers for twelve years, and for no less than sixty years was a member of the Ambulance Committee of the Order or St. John of Jerusalem. For his services he was made a Knight of Grace."