Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,382 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Henry Firth (c1871-1925), chairman of the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co
c.1871 Born in Sheffield, son of Ambrose Firth
1911 Thomas Henry Firth 39, managing director of engineering works, lived in Sheffield with Ethel Mary Firth 37
1925 Obituary 
THOMAS HENRY FIRTH died suddenly at his residence in Sheffield on July 16, 1925.
Mr. Firth, who was fifty-four years of age, was chairman of the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co., Ltd., and allied companies.
He received his early education at the Central Secondary School, Sheffield, and entered Firth College, now incorporated with Sheffield University. He studied engineering under Professor Ripper, chemistry under the late Professor O'Shea, and metallurgy under Professor Arnold.
On finishing his training, Mr. Firth became manager of the works of Messrs. J. C. and J. S. Ellis, Ltd., and when that undertaking was amalgamated with the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co., he was appointed assistant managing director of the larger firm.
In 1915 he was appointed a member of a committee formed by the Government for the purpose of increasing the output of the various metallurgical industries engaged in the production of war material. In that capacity he performed much useful work. Mr. Firth also took a prominent part in the activities, both local and national of the Employers' Federation. For several years he was a member of the Sheffield City Council, and was elected to several important committees, among them the Electric Supply Committee. In addition to his other activities, Mr. Firth devoted much spare time to the formation and organisation of sports clubs.
Mr. Firth was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1905. In 1918 he was President of the Institute of British Foundrymen.