Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,108 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Thomas Lawrence Lewis

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Thomas Lawrence Lewis (1851-1899)


1900 Obituary [1]

THOMAS LAWRENCE LEWIS, born on the 19th August, 1851, began his engineering career as a pupil to his father, the late Mr. John Lewis, of Brecon and Glasbury.

He was then, from 1871 to 1873, an assistant in the office of Mr. W. A. Dallow, County Road Surveyor of South Shropshire and Surveyor to the Tenbury Local Board, engaged on a new survey, plan and sections for the sewerage of the town, and on the plan and section of 4 miles of the Bishops Castle Railway.

In 1873-1874 he assisted Messrs. Bruton and Knowles, surveyors, of Gloucester, in the preparation of Parliamentary plans for a railway from Sharpness Docks to Stonehouse and Stroud, and of plans for the enclosure of waste lands on the banks of the River Severn; he also acted as Resident Engineer on the construction of new gas- and water-works, sewers, etc., at Maesllwch Castle, in Radnorshire.

From 1875 to 1878 he was Surveyor to District No. 4 of the Breconshire County Roads Board, which included 180 miles of roads, with numerou8 bridges. He also acted as Consulting Engineer to the Brecon Sewerage Scheme, prepared plans for deepening the River Llunvey, and, in 1882, was engaged by the Oystermouth Local Board in the design and execution of new roads to the proposed cemetery, through rocks 80 feet deep, afterwards designing the cemetery, with the drainage thereof and new chapels.

In August, 1890, Mr. Lewis was appointed Engineer and Surveyor to the St. George Urban Sanitary Authority of East Bristol, a district of 40,000 inhabitants. There he designed and carried out extensive sewerage works, including a tidal outfall alongside the River Avon and Canal, a public park of 40 acres, the widening and improvement of the main street; several miles of tramways, and the renewal of the lines of the Bristol tramways to be worked by electricity.

Mr. Lewis left Bristol at the end of 1898 to take up the appointment of Surveyor to the Chesham Urban District Council. That post he held only a few months, an attack of heart disease proving fatal on the 10th April, 1899.

He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 4th February, 1896.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information