Sir Thomas Lucas (1822-1902)
Son of James Lucas
Married first Jane Golder and had a daughter and then after her death, married secondly Mary Amelia Chamberlin, daughter of Robert Chamberlin of Norwich and had six sons and four daughters.
1864 Elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1902 Obituary 
SIR THOMAS LUCAS, BART., died on the 6th March, 1902, in his 80th year. Born in 1823 he was the son of Mr. James Lucas, and brother of the late Mr. Charles T. Lucas, of Warnham Court. The latter was the first to enter business, as a builder, in partnership with his father ; the subject of this notice subsequently joined his brother, and the firm of Lucas Brothers came into existence. Commencing in the eastern counties, with large works at Lowestoft, they undertook extensive operations in the development of that town ; the construction of waterworks at Norwich and Yarmouth; and the building of country houses, Somerleyton, Henham, and Rendlesham, amongst others. Moving from Lowestoft to London, Lucas Brothers secured premises by the riverside in Lambeth, and entered upon a long series of undertakings of public interest and importance; the most notable buildings belonging to that period are the stations and hotels at Cannon Street and Charing Cross, the Royal Italian Opera House, the Albert Hall, the South Kensington Exhibitions of 1867 and 1871, the Alexandra Palace, the Junior Carlton Club, and some private houses, including Cliveden. They were responsible for Government work of varying magnitude; the reconstruction of Woolwich Arsenal and of Colchester Camp, besides work at Aldershot, Shorncliffe and elsewhere ; and the provision of huts for the troops in the Crimea, for which they received the special thanks of the Government. In some instances they were associated with other leading builders and contractors, such as the Brasseys, Sir Norton Peto, Mr. Wythes, and Sir John Kelk, in conjunction with whom they erected the Exhibition Buildings of 1862
In 1874 arrangements were made for taking into partnership Mr. Aird, now Sir John Aird, Bart., M.P.; and under the style of Lucas and Aird, and John Aird and Sons, the new firms were heavily engaged in all directions on railways, dock and harbour construction, and gas- and waterworks, the Hull and Barnsley Railway, the West Highland Railway, besides work for most of the principal railway companies. The Tilbury and Royal Albert Docks, and numerous dock extensions, belong to the ensuing period; and it was to Lucas and Aird that the tentative scheme for connecting Suakim and Berber by railway, in 1886, was entrusted.
Mr. Charles T. Lucas and his brother both retired from business during their lifetime, after a partnership of half a century, during which small beginnings had grown through strenuous efforts into a record of remarkable achievements. . . . [more]