Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,834 pages of information and 210,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Roberts (1837-1900)
1900 Obituary 
THOMAS ROBERTS, son of the late Mr. Griffith Roberts, of Coedisaf, was born at Dyffryn Ardudwy, Merionethshire, on the 17th February, 1837.
He commenced his professional career in the office of Mr. J. Y. Robins, Civil Engineer, of Birmingham, in 1859, and in 1866 he began to practise on his own account at Portmadoc.
During the thirty-four years of his residence in that town he designed and executed numerous works in the Festiniog slate quarries, such as tramways, inclines, reservoirs, slate converting machinery, etc., for Mr. Samuel Holland, M.P., and others; made Parliamentary plans and sections for the proposed North Wales narrow gauge railway ; surveyed, set out, and prepared a working section of the Merionethshire Railway; made a Parliamentary survey for the Bala and Festiniog Railway; designed and executed works of water-supply for Dolgelly and sewerage works for Portmadoc; assisted Mr. George Owen in connection with the extension of the Cambrian Railway to Porthdinlleyn; designed inclines and a large pile pier at Portnant, Carnarvon, for the Cambrian Granite Company; prepared Parliamentary plans, and acted as Engineer for the Portmadoc water scheme for the extension of works to supply the towns of Portmadoc, Penrhyn, Borth, and Tremadoc; and designed and executed works of water-supply for the towns of Barmouth, Pwllheli, Bala, Festiniog, and the Rural Sanitary Authority of Llanrwst, and sewerage works for Portmadoc, Barmouth, Pwllheli, Nevin, Trefrew, Dolyddelen, and Penmachno.
His services were frequently in demand in arbitration cases affecting rights of property, and for many years he acted in the capacity of Engineer to the Tremadoc estate.
Mr. Roberts died at Portmadoc on the 13th January, 1900.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 31st May, 1881.