Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,026 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Sipling Wilson (1849-1916) of Holroyd, Horsfield and Wilson
British Vice-Consul, Brettesnoes, Lofoten Islands, Norway ; and Messrs. Holroyd Horsfield and Wilson, Larchfield Foundry, Leeds (or care of Messrs. James Bischoff and Sons, 10 St. Helen's Place, London, E.G.)
1916 Obituary 
THOMAS SIPLING WILSON was born at Hull on 4th November 1849, and was educated at the Old Grammar School in the same city.
He began an apprenticeship in 1862 with Messrs. Thompson and Stather, of Hull, and on its completion seven years later he became head draughtsman to Mr. N. P. Burg, marine consulting engineer. In this position he was engaged on the preparation of plans for the protection of coast piers, etc., by the Hull Corporation Waterworks.
In 1873 he joined the Native Guano Co. as engineer, and together with this post he carried on a consulting practice. After the termination of his agreement he acted as consulting engineer to the firm.
In 1875 he became a partner in the firm of Messrs. Holroyd, Horsfield and Wilson, of Leeds, and in 1880, while still remaining a partner, was appointed engineer and manager to Messrs. J. Jenson and Co., fish manure and oil manufacturers, of the Loffoden Islands, Norway. He acted as British Vice-Consul for the Loffoden Islands from 1882 until 1888.
In the latter year he returned to Leeds, and again took an active interest in his firm.
In 1905 he joined the firm of Messrs. Rose, Downs and Thompson, with which he remained until his death. His chief work was connected with the design and manufacture of machinery, presses, drying plants, etc., for fish, and with foundry practice, and he was responsible for many improvements in fish oils and fish manure plants.
His death took place at Hull on 27th March 1916, at the age of sixty-six.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1873.