of Bretby Art Pottery, Woodville, near Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Also London: 15 Charterhouse Street, EC1. Telephone: Swadlincote 34. Cables: "Tooth, Woodville". Code: A.B.C., 5th Edition
- 1883 Bretby Art Pottery, more properly known as Tooth and Co Ltd, was started by Henry Tooth and William Ault.
- 1886 John Downing Wragg joined the firm.
- 1887 Ault left after four years to set up his own pottery at Swadlincote.
- The company produced both inexpensive pressed wares and more costly thrown art pottery.
- 1912 Incorporated as a private limited company.
- 1914 Manufacturers of artistic pottery under the registered title "Bretby Ware". 
- 1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Bretby Ware. A high-class decorative Pottery comprising "Zuyder Zee", "Carved Bamboo", "Clanta", Self and Combination Transparent and Mat Glazes in Vases, Plaques, Bulb Bowls, Pedestals, Jardinieres, Umbrella Stands, Trinkets, etc. (Stand No. G.10) 
- 1933 Bretby stayed in the hands of the Tooth family until 1933.
- Post-WWII. After the second World War it became known as Tooth and Co Ltd., Bretby Art Pottery.
- Marks include the familiar rising sun over the name Bretby, a stylized HT for Henry Tooth, and the brand names Clanta and Clanta Ware.
Sources of Information