Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,814 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Island Street, London Road, Nottingham
1783 The Trent Navigation Company was established by Act of Parliament, to improve and maintain the navigation on the River Trent between Wilden Ferry and Gainsborough (with the exception of Averham to South Muskham), and junctions with the various other canals.
1790s In the face of competition from new canals, the company decided to implement canals cuts of its own including the Sawley Cut, the Cranfleet Cut and the Beeston canal to avoid difficult sections of the river.
1887 By act of Parliament, the Trent (Burton-upon-Trent and Humber) Navigation Co company was established to acquire properties belonging originally to the Company of Proprietors of the River Trent Navigation and the Trent Navigation and Carrying Co; also the perpetual use of the Trent and Mersey Canal to Burton-upon-Trent.
1892 The name was changed back to Trent Navigation Company.
1906 A further Act, authorising construction of certain new works for improving the navigation, conferred further powers upon the company and modified the provisions with reference to use of the Trent and Mersey Canal
1915 the river from Averham to Nottingham came under the control of Nottingham Corporation who built a new locks and a cut at Holme Lock.
1927 The works were completed which enabled larger boats to reach Nottingham from Hull.
1937 the bulk of the Nottingham Canal was closed with the exception of the stretch through Nottingham, from Trent Bridge to the junction with the Beeston Canal at Lenton. This was taken over by the Trent Navigation Company.
1940 The Trent Navigation Company ceased to exist when it was taken over by the Trent River Catchment Board.