Typke and King
1883 The company was formed by Paul G. W. Typke (1856-1931) and Walter R. King as merchants dealing in chemicals such as antimony sulphide for the rubber and pharmaceutical trades. They had offices in the City of London.
1889 Exhibited fine crystals of chrome alum
c.1898 Erected a factory at Rainham, Essex; the firm began to make valerates and rubber chemicals.
Moved to Mitcham Common a few years later and the Rainham factory was closed.
By the 1930s, Mitcham had become built-up and complaints about the factory were rife.
1939 The company was taken over by Newcastle Zinc Oxide Co. Ltd of Birtley, Co. Durham.
1940 The company's operations were moved to Birtley
1947 Newcastle Zinc Oxide changed its name to Durham Chemical Group
1948 Division of Durham Chemicals, Birtley, Co. Durham (see advert).
Sole selling agents in the UK for Neoprene.
1956 Typke and King was completely absorbed into Durham Chemical Group
Sources of Information
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988.