Union Cement Co
of Wallsend-on-Tyne
The plant was built on a previously-undeveloped land lot and reclaimed foreshore to the east of the Wallsend colliery wharfs. The plant began with four wet process bottle kilns, expanded to six (160 t/week) by 1888, at which time a block of eight chamber kilns (240 t/week) was added. This makes up Davis’ 1907 capacity of 400 t/week. It stopped due to the price war in 9/1908, and restarted 3/1909 at reduced output. It appears in directories up to 1910, but is absent in 1916. It probably stopped at the end of 1911 or early 1912.[1]