Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,806 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Sheffield, manufacturers of various steel articles, as well as guns and solid steel armour plate.
1829 George Naylor retired from Naylor and Sanderson. His son, George Portus Naylor left to start the new firm of Naylor, Hutchinson, Vickers and Co which later began making steel castings and quickly became famous for casting church bells.
William Vickers, brother of Edward, owned a steel rolling operation.
Edward's investments in the railway industry allowed him to gain control of the company, based at Millsands and known as Naylor, Vickers and Co.
1863 The company moved to a new site in Sheffield on the River Don in Brightside.
1867 The company went public with a capital of £155,000 as Vickers, Sons and Co and gradually acquired more businesses, branching out into various sectors.
1868 Vickers began to manufacture marine shafts.
1872 They began casting marine propellers.
1882 They set up a forging press.
1885 In response to challenge to the Sheffield industry from the Government, the company inaugurated the largest press ever made, capable of handling ingots for guns and other heavy marine work; the associated crane had capacity for 150 tons although the largest ingot yet handled was only 57 tons.
1888 Vickers produced their first armour plate.
1890 They produced their first artillery piece.
1896 Agreement to purchase Maxim Nordenfelt Guns and Ammunition Co.