Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,348 pages of information and 230,029 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Henry Radford

From Graces Guide

(Redirected from W. H. Radford)
Jump to: navigation, search

William Henry Radford (1858-1932) of W. H. Radford and Son and the Stag Co

1858 Born in Beeston the son of William Radford, a Farmer, and his wife Mary Porter

1890 Birth of son William Noel Radford

1911 Living at Woodlands, Sherwood, Nottingham: William Henry Radford (age 53 born Beeston), Civil Engineer. With his wife Emmeline Ritson Radford (age 47 born York) and their three children; Dorothy Wentworth Radford (age 21 born Nottingham); William Noel Radford (age 20 born Nottingham), Cambridge Undergraduate; and Vaughan Nathan Radford (age 15 born Nottingham). Also a visitor. Two servants.[1]


1932 Obituary.[2]

WE regret to have to announce the death of Mr. W. H. Radford, of Nottingham, which took place at his home on January 31st.

Mr. Radford retired from the profession six years ago, when his health began to fail, but he will still be remembered by many who came in contact with him on the numerous public works schemes which he carried out. Mr. Radford began his professional career in municipal work at Nottingham under Mr. Tarbottom. He started in private practice as a civil engineer about 1885, and carried out over one hundred sewerage and waterworks schemes in all parts of the country, perhaps the best known of which are the sewerage and sewage disposal for the City of Bath and the sewerage and sewage disposal of the City of Rochester and Borough of Chatham. He also acted as representative engineer in England for several authorities in South Africa, including Durban, Pretoria and Pietermaritzburg.

Mr. Radford was an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and a Fellow of the Royal Sanitary Institute. In 1912 he was joined by his son, Mr. W. N. Radford, who, since his father's retirement, has carried on the firm now known as W. H. Radford and Son.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information