Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,023 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Walter Henry Phillips (1862-1927)
1927 Obituary 
WALTER HENRY PHILLIPS was born in Burton-on-Trent, and since 1906 had been chief engineer to Messrs. Truman, Hanbury and Buxton at their Burton brewery.
He served his apprenticeship in the same town with Messrs. Thornewill and Warham, brewery and colliery engineers.
In 1886 he supervised the installation of a pumping plant near Buenos Ayres for the same firm, but later entered the service of Messrs. Bateman, Parsons and Bateman of Westminster, in connexion with drainage works at Buenos Ayres.
He returned to England and to the service of Messrs. Thornewill and Warham in 1891.
Five years later he joined the engineering staff of Messrs. Barclay, Perkins and Company at their Southwark brewery, and he remained with them until he received his appointment with Messrs. Truman and Company.
During the last stage of his career he was responsible for the complete reorganization and electrification of his firm's plant, which was more than doubled in extent.
Mr. Phillips, who was born in 1862, retired in 1925, and died on 26th April 1927.
He became an Associate Member of the Institution in 1904.