Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,018 pages of information and 213,060 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Walter Hogg

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Walter Hogg (1881-1949)


1950 Obituary [1]

"WALTER HOGG, M.B.E., spent the whole of his professional career in India and the Far East, and had been associated as chief engineer with Messrs. A. and F. Harvey, managers of the Madura Mills Company, Ltd., Madras Province, for over thirty years.

He was born in 1881, and educated at the Bentinck School, Kilmarnock, where he won the Gold Medal for drawing, and at the Kilmarnock Academy and the Science and Art School in that town. On the conclusion of five years' practical training with Messrs. Barclay, Sons and Company, Ltd., of Kilmarnock, in 1902, he sailed for India, and on his arrival there entered the service of the British India Steam Navigation Company, Ltd., as marine engineer.

He was employed for five years in the Eastern Coastal Service, visiting China, Japan, and Africa. During this period he rose from fifth to second engineer and obtained a First-class Board of Trade Certificate.

He next became assistant engineer at the Buckingham cotton mills in Madras, and after holding this position for three years took up his final appointment as chief engineer to the Madura Mills Company's group of cotton mills (A. and F. Harvey), the total capacity of which amounted to 500,000 spindles. Mr. Hogg was responsible for the erection and subsequent maintenance of a new cotton mill and was also closely associated with the extension and rebuilding of the Punalur paper mills in the Travancore States.

He joined the directorate of Messrs. Harvey in 1932, and retired ten years later. For his part in organizing amenities for the troops in the State of Mysore he was awarded the M.B.E. in 1946. Mr. Hogg, whose death occurred in Scotland on 20th August 1949, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1928."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information