Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,057 pages of information and 230,710 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The six 180 kW alternators with their Raworth high-speed engines and the three engine-driven DC exciters were supplied by the Brush Electrical Engineering Co. The boilers were by Babcock and Wilcox, with Vicars' stokers and Green's economisers. Overhead cranes were by Vaughan. Provision was made for doubling the size of the engine room and boiler house.
Following the First World War new plant was installed. By 1923 the generating plant comprised:-
1 × 1 MW reciprocating engine,
3 × 1.5 MW turbo-alternators,
2 × 5 MW turbo-alternators,
2 × 6 MW turbo-alternators.
By 1954 generating plant comprised:-