Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Wardill and Sons of Mitcham
In 1903, Ernest Wardill (Henry Ernest Wardill, 1881 - 1934) opened a garage on Pound Street, Carshalton, with backing from his father, Henry Wardill (1857 - 1930). Ernest had started out as a cycle repairer and at the Carshalton garage he dealt with bicycles and cars.
Before opening the garage in Pound Street, Henry and sons had built an engine using a treadle lathe (a mechanical lathe operated by a footplate). Percy (James Percival Wardill, 1895 - 1979) recalled helping to treadle the lathe when he came home from school - three could treadle at once. The castings for this engine were done in the Great Eastern Railway workshop at Grimsby, arranged by Percy's cousin, Bill Spencer, who was the manager at the Great Eastern Hotel in Grimsby. At the garage in Pound Street, the engine was put into a frame.
Between 1924 and 1927, Ernest and Percy designed and built the Wardill motorcycle (see below). Based around a supercharged engine which was the brainchild of Percy, it performed well in public trials, leading the brothers to place advertisements in the motorcycling press. But commercial production never ensued and the Wardill motorcycle faded into history. In 1974, five years before Percy's death, the "Motorcycle" journal followed up the story (see links 3, 4 and 5, below).