Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,417 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A 4.5 mile link between Whitehaven and Egremont with a branch to Cleator Moor. Opened to passengers in 1857.
The Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway was built by an independent company, and was vested in the London and North Western Railway in 1877, and then, in 1878, in that company and the Furness Railway jointly.
It was opened to Egremont on January 11th, 1856, and extended to Sellafield on the Furness on August 1st, 1869. The Egremont company's line from Cleaton to Marron Junction on the Cockermouth and Workington was opened to Rowrah on February 1st 1864, and thence to Marron Junction in April 1866. The Maryport and Carlisle loop between Aikbank Junction and Aspatria was brought into use on April 2nd, 1866, and a line from Bulgill to Brigham on the Cockermouth and Workington on June 1st 1867. The Coniston branch of the Furness was opened on June 18th, 1859 ; the Ulverston-Lakeside in 1869; and the Arnside-Hincaster in 1876. 
1923 Became part of London, Midland and Scottish Railway