Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,881 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1897 Company incorporated
Late 19th century: Mr H. H. Mulliner and Mr F. Wigley were in business in Birmingham making scientific measuring instruments and tools for making the more complicated parts of ordnance. They acquired premises in Birmingham to supply ordnance for the Boer War but found problems in supervision so transferred operations to a 60 acre site in Coventry with good rail and canal connections where extensive works for manufacture of ordnance were laid out, which became Coventry Ordnance Co
Further developments were made in ordnance, including a 9.2 inch garrison mounting for the War Office. The need for obtaining special steels led to amalgamation with Messrs Cammell of Sheffield; Mr Mulliner joined the board of Cammells.
1902 Wigley-Mulliner Engineering Co was put into voluntary liquidation (meeting was in Birmingham)