Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,949 pages of information and 228,874 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Bumantofts, Leeds
1845 Established by William Wilcock and John Lassey, who intended to mine coal on the site they had bought, which they did for thirteen years, but they also found clay there
1858 They started to use the clay for making bricks and pipes. John Lassey died that year, but his wife carried on in his stead. The company was known as Wilcock and Co.
1863 Margaret Lassey sold her share to John Holroyd
1870 Holroyd passed the management of the company to his son Ernest.
1879 His brother James took over the running of the business.
1880 The company decided to enter the burgeoning British art pottery movement. James started the production of 'architectural faience', and during the next decade the company produced vases, jardinieres, etc. The company drew in pottery talent from local sources and further afield,
The new ranges sold well and in 1888 the company opened its own showroom in London and changed its name to The Burmantofts Company.
1889 The new name was short lived - the following year Burmantofts merged with five other Yorkshire companies to form the Leeds Fireclay Co.
1890 James Holroyd died and was succeeded by his son, James junior.
1904 Sales of art pottery were flagging; the company reverted mainly to production of architectural pieces, leaving the art pottery market, having not made a financial success of their venture. More than 2000 different models had been produced .
1957 Production finally ceased.