William Bailey and Son
of Horseley Fields Chemical Works, Wolverhampton, manufacturing chemists.
1828 Business established by William Bailey.
William Bailey apparently set himself up in business as a wholesale chemist and druggist
1849 Bailey erected chemical works on the Horseley Fields site.
1861 A lease refers to a "chloride of gold laboratory".
c.1866 The firm became William Bailey & Son
1870 Bailey still described himself as a wholesale chemist as late as 1870.
By 1886, William Bailey had died leaving the firm in the hands of his son Vincent.
1914 Claimed to be the oldest-established firm of Brewers' Chemists
By 1959 had been renamed as William Bailey & Son (Wolverhampton) Limited. Products included Bisulphides and sulphites of lime, soda, magnesia and potash; brewers' chemicals; anti-fouling chemicals; cement and concrete colours; “Cuprite” spray for potatoes, vines and fruit trees; food and fruit preservatives; etc.
Sources of Information
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988.