Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,627 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Bragge (1823-1883)
1854 of the Imperial Petropolis Railway, Rio Janeiro
Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 06
BRAGGE, WILLIAM (1823–1884), engineer and antiquary, was born at Birmingham 31 May 1823, his father being Thomas Perry Bragge, a jeweller.
After some years of general tuition, Bragge studied practical engineering with two Birmingham firms, and in his leisure applied himself closely to the study of mechanics and mathematics. In 1845 he entered the office of a civil engineer, and engaged in railway surveying. He acted first as assistant engineer and then as engineer-in-chief of part of the line from Chester to Holyhead.
Through the recommendation of Sir Charles Fox, Bragge was sent out to Brazil as the representative of Messrs. Belhouse and Co., of Manchester, and he carried out the lighting of the city of Rio de Janeiro with gas. This was followed by the survey of the first railway constructed in Brazil—the line from Rio de Janeiro to Petropolis—for which he received several distinctions from the emperor Don Pedro. The emperor in later years visited Bragge at Sheffield.
In 1858 Bragge left South America. He became one of the managing directors of the firm of Sir John Brown and Co., and was elected mayor of Sheffield. The rolling of armour plates, the manufacture of steel plates, the adoption of the helical railway buffer-spring, and other developments of mechanical enterprise, were matters in which he rendered effective aid to his firm. Bragge filled the office of master cutler of Sheffield, and took great interest in the town's free libraries, school of art, and museums.
In 1872 he resigned his position of managing director to his firm, which had been converted into a limited company, and went over to Paris as engineer to the Société des Engrais, which had for its object the utilisation of the sewage of a large part of Paris. The scheme proved unsuccessful, and resulted in heavy pecuniary loss to the promoters. In 1876 Bragge returned to his native town of Birmingham, settling there, and developing a large organisation for the manufacture of watches by machinery on the American system.
The antiquarian tastes of Bragge, which he found time to cultivate in spite of his labours in business, were manifested in his numerous collections. Amongst these was a unique Cervantes collection, which included nearly every work written by or relating to the great Spanish writer. This collection, which consisted of 1,500 volumes, valued at 2,000l., Bragge presented to his native town, but unfortunately it was destroyed in the fire at the Birmingham Free Libraries in 1879. A cabinet of gems and precious stones which Bragge collected from all parts of Europe was purchased for the Birmingham Art Gallery. The most remarkable collection formed by Bragge was one of pipes and smoking apparatus, in which every quarter of the world was represented. A catalogue prepared and published by the collector showed that he had brought together 13,000 examples of pipes. China, Japan, Thibet, Van Diemen's Land, North and South America, Greenland, the Gold Coast, and the Falkland Islands, all furnished specimens. ‘There were also samples of some hundreds of kinds of tobacco, of every conceivable form of snuff-box, including the rare Chinese snuff-bottles, and also of all known means of procuring fire, from the rude Indian fire-drill down to the latest invention of Paris or Vienna.’ This collection was broken up and dispersed. Bragge also made a notable collection of manuscripts, which realised 12,500/. He was always ready to place his treasures at the disposal of public bodies for exhibition.
Bragge was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, of the Anthropological Society, of the Royal Geographical Society, and of many foreign societies.
Bragge, who married a sister of the Rev. George Beddow, died at Handsworth, Birmingham, on 6 June 1884. For some time before his death he was almost totally blind.
1884 Obituary 
WILLIAM BRAGGE was born at Birmingham on 31st May 1823, his father being a manufacturing jeweller.
At the age of fourteen he entered the office of Mr. C. H. Capper, civil engineer, of Birmingham, who was then engaged in the construction of the Kilsby Tunnel near Rugby, on the London and Birmingham Railway, after the failure of the original contractor.
Subsequently he was at the Vulcan Works and Foundry of Mr. William Middleton, Birmingham; and at the age of twenty-one entered the service of the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway at Bromsgrove.
Soon afterwards he was engaged by Messrs. Gandell and Brunton, railway engineers, Birkenhead; and then by Mr. Lister, whom be shortly succeeded as engineer of the Chester and Birkenhead Railway; he also planned and laid out the railways about the Birkenhead docks.
In 1846 he went to Brazil as superintending engineer for the construction of the gas works at Rio de Janeiro.
He also constructed the first railway in Brazil, the steep mountain line from Rio de Janeiro to Petropolis; and gas, railway, and harbour works at Buenos Aires.
Returning to England in 1858 be joined the firm of Messrs. John Brown and Co., Atlas Steel Works, Sheffield, where the rolling of iron armour-plates and the manufacture of steel rails was shortly afterwards commenced. During the fourteen years of his connection with Sheffield he took an active part in promoting the education and welfare of the artisans; and his efforts resulted in the establishment and successful development of numerous important institutions for the benefit of the town.
After 1872 he was for some time in Paris, as engineer to a scheme for utilising the sewage of the city.
In 1876 he returned to Birmingham, and became interested in the manufacture of watches by machinery, on the American system, which he greatly improved in mechanical detail. For several years his sight had been failing, and he had become almost totally blind some time before his death, which took place at Birmingham on 6th June 1884, in the sixty-second year of his age.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1854; and on the occasion of the Summer Meeting being held in Sheffield in 1861 he took an active part in connection with the remarkable paper then read on the manufacture of steel rails and armour-plates.
At the Autumn Meeting of the Institution in Birmingham in 1883 the factory of the English Watch Company was visited on his invitation.