Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,144 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of William Collier and Co, Salford
For the present time, this entry relates to both William Collier Sr. and his son William Jr.
1841 Census: Father and son living at Roman Road Terrace Broughton. William Sr was about 55 and and William Jr. about 15 (at that time ages were quoted with a tolerance of =/- 5 years).
William Jr, lived from 1822 to 1867. The 1861 census gives his occupation as ‘Civil engineer, Master, Toolmaker, employing about 140 hands. He was born in Salford, and in 1862 lived at 106 Earl Street, Broughton.
1827 English Patent granted on 10 November to William Collier, fustian shearer, for improvements in the power loom for weaving; communicated from abroad. On the same day an English Patent was granted to John Platt (of Salford), fustian dresser, for certain improvements in machinery for combing wool and other fibrous materials; communicated from abroad. At some point Collier and Platt were partners.
Summary of Collier's 1827 patent here.