Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,711 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Francis Hoborough

From Graces Guide

William Francis Hoborough (c1865-1942) of Cruwys and Hobrough and Hobrough and Co


1942 Obituary.[1]

The passing of Mr. William Francis Hobrough, of "Cranham," Inkberrow, Worcester, removes one who for upwards of half a century until his retirement in 1936 was engaged in public works construction, and was particularly well known in Gloucester, where he resided for many years at "Gonvena," Stroud-road, Tuffley.

Mr. Hobrough, who was in his 78th year, was born at Norwich, his father being at one time chief engineer for the Birmingham and Worcester section of the Birmingham and Worcester Canal. He was educated at Bromsgrove Grammar School, and his first appointment was on the staff of the late Mr. James Cruwys, who, at the time, was agent for the contractors engaged in the construction of what was then known as the Birmingham West Suburban railway line, now the main line from King's Norton to New-street station, Birmingham. Soon after the completion of that contract Mr. Hobrough came to Gloucester, where he subsequently joined partnership with Mr. Cruwys under the style of Cruwys and Hobrough, public works contractors.

Among the important contracts carried out by the firm were the construction of the Monk Meadow dock at Gloucester, the construction of the first Newent Water Works, the road bridge over the Worcester to Pembury railway at Stanford, the road from Parkend to Lydbrook, and the construction of the branch railway line from Tuffley to the Docks. There were also other contracts carried out by the firm in connection with road and bridge construction in South Wales and other parts of the country.

When Mr. Cruwys died in 1905 the partnership was dissolved, and the name of the firm changed to Hobrough and Co. Ltd. As the head of this concern Mr. Hobrough continued to enjoy the valued managerial assistance of Mr. Ernest W. Cruwys, the son of his former partner, who remained with him until his retirement. The firm, under the new style, continued to undertake large public works contracts, these including the Ketford Waterworks, the new bridge which spans the Avon at Pershore, the three road bridges at Whitminster, the Hartpury-Newent road, and numerous large and important improvements at Gloucester and Sharpness Docks. The firm also dealt with the landslide at Cooper's Hill. Early Rotarian Mr. Hobrough was formerly a director of the Gloucester Stone Co., Ltd., and of J. C. Wheeler and Son, Ltd., and in the last war was associated with William T. Nicholls, Ltd., in the construction of ferro-concrete barges.

Just prior to his retirement from business, Mr. Hobrough removed to Cheltenham, and went to reside at Inkberrow in 1940. He was one of the earliest members of the Gloucester Rotary Club. Twice married, Mr. Hobrough is survived by the widow and three sons. His first wife was the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Richard Read, the former City Surveyor. Of the three sons, Mr. Frank Hobrough lives in Wiltshire; Mr. Bernard Hobrough is managing director of Healey and Son, Ltd., Gloucester, and Mr. William Hobrough is with a reinforced concrete engineering company at Stafford.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Gloucester Journal - Saturday 05 September 1942