Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Freeman (1793-1880)
1836 William Freeman of Millbank Street, a stone merchant, became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1881 Obituary 
MR. WILLIAM FREEMAN was born on the 25th of April, 1793, at 27, Millbank Street, Westminster, where, upon the death of his parents, Joseph and Sarah Freeman, he carried on the business of stone and granite merchant in partnership with his brother John.
In 1865 his brother retired from the firm, and carried on the Cornish granite quarries, and William Freeman took his son, John Russell, into partnership, upon whose death, in January 1878, he resigned the business to a nephew and grandson, and retired to live at Twickenham Green, where he died on the 6th of May, 1880, full of years and respected by numerous friends.
He was well known in Westminster for his connection with the various charities, and was, until a few years before his death, treasurer of Mr. Emery Hill's almshouses and also of the City of Westminster Savings Bank. For upwards of twenty years before his death he was totally blind.
Mr. Freeman was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 23rd of February, 1836.