Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,502 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Inglis Hawdon (1851-1934)
1861 Educated at Royal Grammar School, Lancaster
1866 Apprentice at Hopkins, Gilkes and Co, Middlesbrough
1869-73 Involved in erection of several iron works, railway bridges, etc
1873 Supervised erection of blast furnace at Northampton and supervised its first few months of operation
1877 Joined Sir B. Samuelson and Co as assistant engineer; closely involved in erection of 8 blast furnaces, wharves, etc
1881 Civil engineer, living in Middlesbrough
1892-4 President of Cleveland Institute of Engineers
1901 Mechanical engineer, visiting Sawburn on Sea with his wife
By 1902 was Chief engineer and technical manager of Sir B. Samuelson and Co; joined the Inst of Civil Engineers
1911 Director Iron Works, engineer, visiting Eastbourne with Margaret Hawdon 47, Hugh William Hawdon 20, Margaret Alsaper Hawdon 8
1934 Died in Surrey
1934 Obituary 
Colonel WILLIAM HAWDON died suddenly at Droitwich on Friday, April 13, 1934, within a few days of his eighty-fourth birthday.
He was buried at Byfleet, where he had taken up his residence after leaving Upsall Grange, Nunthorpe. Colonel Hawdon was formerly a prominent figure in the iron trade of Cleveland and was a member of the Cleveland Ironmasters' Association. For many years he held the position of managing director of the Newport Ironworks, Middlesbrough, and retired from business when the owners, Messrs. B. Samuelson & Sons, sold the works to Messrs. Dorman, Long & Co., Ltd.
Colonel Hawdon was the author of a paper presented before the Iron and Steel Institute at the autumn meeting held in Middlesbrough in 1908; it was entitled " The Iron and Steel Industries of the Cleveland District during the Last Quarter of a Century," and covered the period between 1883 and 1908. Colonel Hawdon was a very old member of the Iron and Steel Institute, having been elected in 1876; during 1917-1918 he occupied a seat on the Council by virtue of his position as President of the Cleveland Institution of Engineers.