Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,108 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Hayward (1841-1890)
1891 Obituary 
WILLIAM HAYWARD was born on the 10th of January, 1841.
When about eighteen years of age he entered the service of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co, being employed at first as a draughtsman. After a time he became assistant-secretary, then secretary, and finally manager, earning continually the confidence of those to whom he was responsible and the esteem of all who knew him. Possessed of exceptional financial abilities, unswerving integrity and sound judgment, he was able, in the face of a competition from centres where labour, material, and coal are cheaper, to maintain the reputation of London shipbuilding.
He was responsible for the building of H.M.S. 'Benbow,' 'Sans Pareil,' 'Blenheim,' 'Grafton,' and 'Theseus,' besides smaller craft for the British navy and for foreign governments, and the ironwork of the Blackfriars Bridge and of the Barry Docks was constructed under his management.
During the thirty-two years that he served the Company many opportunities arose, in times of depression and strikes as well as in prosperous and busy seasons, when his energy and tact were conspicuously manifest, and his loss will be felt not only by the Company, but by those with whom he had worked, and to whom he had endeared himself as a personal friend.
Mr. Hayward was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 2nd of April, 1878.
He died on the 20th of September, 1890, of anamia.