Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,026 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Henry Hewlett (c1846-1933) of Wigan Coal and Iron Works, Kirkless Hall, Wigan
1933 Obituary 
WILLIAM HENRY HEWLETT died at his residence in Godalming, Surrey, on June 15, 1933, at the age of eighty-seven; he had been in failing health for some time.
On his brother's retirement in 1912 he became managing director; when the company was merged into The Wigan Coal Corporation in 1930, he retired, though he continued to be a director of the Wigan Coal and Iron Co.
Mr. Hewlett was interested in a number of other companies, including the Cossal Colliery Co., Derbyshire, the Ammanford Colliery Co., South Wales (prior to its sale to the Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Co.), and the Caucasian Manganese Co.
He had been president of the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal Owners' Association (in 1881), the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal Sales Association and the Lancashire and Cheshire Gas Coal Association. In 1918 and for some years he was chairman of the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal and Coke Suppliers' Committee, and was at one time chairman of the Northern Employers' Mutual Indemnity Co., Ltd. He was a member of the executive council of the Mining Association of Great Britain, and during his association with the coal industry took an active interest in the welfare of the Lancashire and Cheshire Miners' Permanent Relief Society.
While he was actively associated with the Wigan Coal and Iron Co., he resided at Standish; he was a former member of the Standish District Council and of the Aspull District Council, and had served as chairman of each Council. He was a Justice of the Peace.
Mr. Hewlett joined the Iron and Steel Institute in 1873, only four years after its foundation. He became a Member of Council in 1905, and a Vice-President in 1914; he was elected an Hon. Vice-President in 1924.