Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,955 pages of information and 210,199 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Jamieson (1894-1950)
1951 Obituary 
"WILLIAM JAMIESON, who was born in 1894, received his theoretical training in mechanical engineering at the Coatbridge Technical School. In 1911 he began to serve an apprenticeship with Messrs. Murray and Paterson, Ltd., Coatbank Engine Works, Coatbridge, which was, however, interrupted three years later by active service overseas. On demobilization in 1918 he returned to Messrs. Murray and Paterson and after four years further training remained with that firm as leading draughtsman until 1925. On the completion of a two years' engagement as plant draughtsman to the Lanarkshire Steel Company, Ltd., Motherwell, he was appointed chief draughtsman and assistant works manager to the Fife Coal Company, Ltd., Cowdenbeath, with responsibility for the design and manufacture of colliery plant. In addition he acted as teacher of machine design at the Fife Mining School. In 1936 he went to China on his appointment as workshops superintendent to the Kailan Mining Administration. In this capacity he was responsible for the production of all the machinery and equipment requisite for the exploitation of the mines. After suffering four years' internment at the hands of the Japanese, he resumed his connection with the company until 1948 when he returned from abroad and joined the staff of the National Coal Board as area chief mechanical engineer for Central East Scotland. This position he retained until his death which occurred on 4th February 1950. Mr. Jamieson had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1939."