Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,515 pages of information and 217,081 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William John Arnold (c1890-1936)
1936 Obituary 
WILLIAM JOHN ARNOLD was chief mechanical engineer to the Bedwas Navigation Colliery Company (1921), Ltd. He was responsible for the installation of large turbo-compressors and turbo-generators for the firm, and for arranging for the supply of steam, compressed air, and electricity by his firm to the adjoining by-product plant laid down by Messrs. Woodall and Duckham, whom he assisted in an advisory capacity.
Mr. Arnold was born at Bedlinog, near Dowlais, and in 1902 commenced his apprenticeship at the workshops attached to the Cyfarthfa Collieries of Messrs. Guest, Keen, and Nettlefolds, Ltd. He subsequently entered the drawing office and in 1912 became chief draughtsman. Several important air-compressing plants, boilers, and screening plants were built to his designs and installed in the works.
From 1914 to 1919 he was also engaged as a teacher in machine construction and drawing for evening classes at Merthyr.
He became resident engineer at Messrs. Guest, Keen, and Nettlefold's Bedlinog Collieries in 1922, and when the collieries were closed five years later he took up his appointment at Bedwas.
Mr. Arnold was elected a Member of the Institution in 1929.
His death occurred on 9th June 1936, in his forty-seventh year.