Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,784 pages of information and 235,419 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Johnson (1856-1922)

From Graces Guide

William Johnson (1856-1922)


1922 Obituary [1]

WILLIAM JOHNSON was born at Gosport, Hants, on 31st October 1856, and was educated at Anderson's Institute, Lerwick, and at Robinson's Academy, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

His apprenticeship was served in the engineering workshops and rolling mills of Messrs. John Abbott and Co., Ltd., of Gateshead-on-Tyne. He remained with this firm as draughtsman for five years, and in 1881 was appointed Assistant Chief Mechanical Engineer to the Kingston-upon-Hull Dock Co., in which capacity he remained for four years.

After two appointments of shorter duration as Resident Engineer on Dock work he joined the Manchester Ship Canal Co. in 1888, as Chief Draughtsman under Mr. (afterwards Sir) E. Leader Williams. With this Company practically from the inception of its activities he was successively promoted to be assistant resident engineer, in which position he was responsible for the Warrington Section of the Canal, principal assistant engineer, and finally Constructional Engineer.

The latter post he held at the time of his death on 26th August 1922 in his sixty-sixth year.

He was a former Member of this Institution from 1886 to 1889, and rejoined in 1911.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information