Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William McLandsborough (1829-1905)
1906 Obituary 
WILLIAM McLANDSBOROUGH, born on the 14th April, 1829, at Otley, Yorkshire, was trained for the engineering profession under his father, the late Mr. John McLandsborough, and subsequently acted as Resident Engineer on various water-supply, drainage and sewerage works carried out under the direction of Sir Robert Rawlinson, Past-President, and other prominent engineers.
Between 1861 and 1864 he occupied the position of Engineer to the City of Gloucester, and in the latter year he was appointed Engineer and Manager of the Cheltenham Waterworks, subsequently becoming Waterworks Engineer to the borough on the transfer of the water undertaking to the Corporation. During his tenure of the latter office, the waterworks were largely developed under his supervision.
The works at Tewkesbury, designed by the late Mr. Thomas Hawksley, Past-President, were constructed by him, as well as the large reservoir at Dowdeswell, and he also superintended the construction of Evesham waterworks, and smaller works at Winchcombe.
In 1890 Mr. McLandsborough retired from his appointment under the Corporation, after a connection with the waterworks extending over 26 years of able and devoted service, the value of which was fully appreciated by his employers and by the community. After his retirement he was frequently consulted upon water-supply schemes and similar undertakings, in connection with which he was associated with several prominent engineers angdx ve evidence before parliamentary committees and at arbitrations.
He died suddenly at his residence in Cheltenham on the 5th December, 1905, in his seventy-seventh year.
Mr. McLandsborough was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 24th May, 1859, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 30th April, 1878.