Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,111 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Morton (1832-1899)
1899 Obituary 
WILLIAM MORTON was born at Louth on the 4th October, 1832, and was educated at the Grammar School in that town.
In 1850 he was a pupil to the late Henry Fowler, and was engaged on the construction of the East Lincolnshire Railway, the survey of the town and port of Great Grimsby, and the construction and repair of works on the Great Northern Railway.
In 1855 he joined the staff of the late Sir John Fowler, Bart. (then Mr. Fowler), and during 1858-9 he acted as Resident Engineer on the construction of works in connection with the reclamation and enclosure of land at the estuaries of the Nene and Ouse in the counties of Lincolnshire and Norfolk.
In 1859 he went to Portugal and laid out and superintended the Great North of Portugal Railway from Santarem to Oporto. Between 1659 and 1869 he was Chief Resident Engineer on the construction of the Metropolitan Railway from Bishop's Road to Farringdon Street, the Finsbury extension to Moorgate Street, and the western extension to South Kensington.
From 1870 to 1874 Mr. Morton carried out the construction of the Liverpool Central Station Railway under Sir John Fowler and Mr. W. M. Brydone.
From 1874 to l880 he was employed, under Mr. Brydone, in constructing the Liverpool North Extension Railway and terminus for the Cheshire Lines Committee, and during that time he was engaged on various parliamentary work in connection with the Mersey Tunnel and underground railways in and about Liverpool.
In 1882 Mr. Morton came to London and practised as a consulting engineer, but he devoted no little time also to Art, as from early days he was proficient as a painter in oils. Owing to ill-health he was obliged to retire in 1890. He died at his residence, 98 Oxford Gardens, W., on the 5th April, 1899.
Mr. Morton was elected a Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1877.