Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,169 pages of information and 210,845 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Rosser (1829-1894)
1895 Obituary 
WILLIAM ROSSER, son of Mr. Samuel Rosser, was born at Bryn Mill, Sketty, near Swansea, on the 17th of March, 1829, and was educated at a private school in Swansea.
After serving articles to the late Mr. James Hall, of Swansea, he was occupied for some time in making surveys on the Neath and Glyncorrwg Railway.
He then opened and worked the Rhydydefed Colliery.
In 1852 he went to Llanelly as surveyor to Mr. W. Chambers, the then owner of the Stepney Estates, who died in 1855. Mr. Rosser then acted for Miss Gulston Stepney, Mr. Chambers’ successor. She was succeeded by Lieut-Colonel John Stepney (afterwards Sir John Stepney, Bart.) in 1857. Mr. Rosser became his agent and continued to control the large and important Stepney Estates until Sir John died in 1877. During that period, Mr. Rosser vastly developed the estates, important colliery lettings were opened out and a large extent of land in the town was laid out for building purposes, the rapid growth of Llanelly for many years chiefly comprising erections on the Stepney property.
Mr. Rosser became agent to the Llangennech Estate, near Llanelly,....[more]