Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,408 pages of information and 217,024 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Stopford Smyth (1831-1913)
1913 Obituary 
WILLIAM STOPFORD SMYTH, born in Dublin on the 13th September, 1831, died at St. Anne’s-on-Sea on the 21st April, 1913.
He received his practical training under the late J. R. McClean, Past-President, and was subsequently engaged on railway work in this country and in India.
From 1870 to 1880 he was in Egypt as contractor’s engineer on the Alexandria harbour works.
In the latter year he became Engineer to the Alexandra Dock Co, Newport, and afterwards Engineer-in-Chief to the Newport (Alexandra) Docks and Railway Company, and designed the South Dock and other work, retiring in 1901.
Mr. Smyth was elected a Member of The Institution on the 6th December, 1864.