William Walker and Sons (Hanley)
of Hanley, Stoke on Trent
1874 Business founded
1900 Moved to new factory named Century
After the discovery of commercially exploitable deposits of crude oil in the seams of a local colliery, the Walker Brothers distilled crude oil at a refinery built at Cobridge.
The Century Oil Works was located the heart of the Potteries where an abundant supply of of coke and coal was required to fire the kilns, and much coal tar was available for processing. Walkers produced a range of products including axle grease, engine oil, paraffin, lamp oil and candles.
1928 Company incorporated to carry on the business making and dealing in flint stone glazes and clay colours operated by William Walker and Sampson Walker.
1950s Introduced dilute emulsions for fire resistant fluids in mining roof supports
Then introduced special hydraulic fluids for use in presence of corrosive agents.
c.1955 Introduced high temperature lubricants, both greases and oils
1956 Name changed to Walker (Century Oils) Ltd
1960 Introduced lithium-based greases, as well as multi-purpose hydraulic fluids, and skin cleansers.
1965 Introduced non-phenolic flotation oils; introduced soluble oil for use in the metal-working industry.
1970 Introduced molybdenum greases
Expanded range of gear greases
1973 Name changed to Century Oils Ltd
1976 Name changed to Century Oils Group Ltd
By 1980 had introduced synthetic motor oils and compressor oils as well as lubricating grease suitable for low-flying aircraft over the sea.
1981 Name changed to Century Oils Group p.l.c.
1992 Acquired by the Fuchs Group of Germany, lubricant specialists.
1995 Name changed to Century Oils Group Ltd
-  Century Oil
Sources of Information
- Companies house filings
-  The Potteries